1. Have your heating system cleaned now while your HVAC professional is less busy.
2. Install weather stripping around your doors and windows.
3. Balance the airflow in your home so your heating system operates at peak efficiency. Return Air Pathways either over doors or placed in doors will help.
4. Clean or replace your bathroom fan if you have significant moisture build-up from ineffective ventilation. Also, consider installing a Return Air Pathway in the bathroom door for better air circulation.
5. Programmable thermostats will keep rooms at your preferred temperature day and night. If you don’t own one, they’re well worth the investment.
6. Backdrafts from your fireplace, your range hood and your dryer can suck heat right out of your home. Consider strategically placed backdraft dampers to minimize heat loss.
7. Clean gutters minimize the build-up of ice in the winter and encourage water to flow away from your home. Start now, but be sure to finish when the last leaves have fallen.
8. If you have a ceiling fan, reverse its blades so it will then push hot air down into the living space.
9. Insulate exposed pipes in the basement as well as your water heater.
10. Check your attic insulation for its R ‘value’. If you’re in a cold climate, R-49 is recommended.
R-Values. An insulating material's resistance to conductive heat flow is measured or rated in terms of its thermal resistance or R-value -- the higher the R-value, the greater the insulating effectiveness. The R-value depends on the type of insulation, its thickness, and its density.
11. Minimize dangerous fumes from solvents, gasoline, auto exhaust and other chemicals which tend to linger in an attached garage by installing a Dragon Garage Ventilation fan.
12. While the weather is still relatively warm, change over screen doors and windows to storm doors and windows. If you have heavier window treatments change them as well.
We at Tamarack welcome your calls or e-mails for advice on any or all of these topics. For help with your ventilation needs, call a product specialist at Tamarack today! 1-800-222-5932. Or visit us on the web at www.tamtech.com