Crawl Space Foundation Vent Covers
The Crawlspace Foundation Vent Cover is an easy to install, economical and energy-efficient product that increases airflow by 50% which prevents mold and mildew buildup, and reduces heat loss in the cooler months with an insulated cover. Can be retrofitted into new or existing construction.
Proper venting of homes with a crawl space foundation has long been a challenge for homeowners. Most homes have fixed vents that limit airflow in warmer weather and that do not seal well in winter. The Crawl Space Foundation Vent Cover provides maximum ventilation in the Summer months and maximum insulation in the Winter months.
Crawl Space Foundation Vent Cover can be easily installed, insulated and sealed from the outside of your home. This affordable, energy-efficient product is sized to fit a typical concrete block opening. The vent cover fits a rough opening minimum of 14 1/2 inch x 7 inch. These Crawl Space Foundation Vent Covers can be retrofitted into existing homes or installed in new homes. This patented product has a faceplate made of heavy-duty ABS plastic with a rodent-proof stainless steel screen.
- Face plate
- Summer stainless steel screen door
- Winter door sealer plate
- Hardware: threaded steel rods, backer bar, 2 wing nuts, 2 knurled hex nuts, 2 knurled nuts
- Energy Efficient- allows 50% more airflow during the warmer seasons
- Reduces heat loss through the crawl space during the colder seasons
- Stainless steel screen keeps rodents, mice, vermin out of your crawl space.
- Helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Crawl Space Foundation Vent Cover fits rough opening of minimum 14 1/2 inch x 7 inch
- Capable of being installed in up to 90% of all standard crawl space vent installations.
- Maximum depth of 8 inches
Measure width and height of opening to verify the faceplate (19″x 10″) will overlap the opening by at least 1/4″ or more on all four sides.
If replacing an existing vent, remove the mortar that secures the vent to the foundation using a hammer, flat pry bar and/or large masonry chisel.
Crawl Space Vent Installation
- Once it is verified that the faceplate fits flush with the sill plate and foundation, caulk the backside of the faceplate with ample caulk to insure a quality seal.
- Put one lock nut on each of the threaded rods.
- Reach inside through the faceplate opening and screw each of the threaded rods through the inserts of the faceplate toward the outside of the foundation until the rods protrude at least 5/8″.
- Tighten the lock nuts on inside of threaded rod with 7/16″ wrench. DO NOT overtighten.
- Reach through faceplate opening with the backer bar in hand and place backer bar on threaded rods. Install the wing nuts on each of the threaded rods behind the backer bar and finger tighten until the bar is tight against the inside wall and begins to bend slightly. This will apply tension to allow for consistent sealing of caulk that was applied to the back of the faceplate.
- Place the screendoor on the unit by aligning the screen door holes with the protruding ends of the threaded rods and hand tighten the knurled nuts to the screen door.
Winter Door Installation
Store the winter door in a convenient place for heating season installation. To install the winter door, unscrew the knurled nuts and place the winter door behind the screen door. Replace the screen door and retighten the knurled nuts.